Sunday, May 17, 2009

Drowning in Nouns

How many ways can we possibly say, "we like it, and it's good for us in lots of ways that are good"?

One of the truly fascinating, and sometimes extremely frustrating, parts of this research is the number of different nouns available for me to use to say essentially the same thing in slightly different ways.

Not sure what I mean? The working title of my research when I first started this project was, 'the arts and social wellbeing of Australian rural communities'. Fairly straight forward? Well, yes. However, as with the term 'social capital', I'm getting the feeling that some people are a little over the term 'wellbeing' and prefer instead to use language like, 'resilience', 'inclusive' or 'engagement'. I was doing some reading today and was surprised to find the use of the noun 'community' also coming under some criticism.

A scan of some of my working titles for individual papers includes titles like: 'Determining the role/Measuring the impact/Finding a place for the arts and rural resilience/inclusion/revitalisation/inequity/empowerment'.

Yes, I do realise they are not all the same thing. But the amount of overlap is uncanny. That I can use the one project to generate a list of nouns like the ones above is quite a feat.

While it is useful to make distinctions between these terms, none of them has ever come out on top as the best name for all the applications/use/benefits/outcomes of the arts. I guess then I'm back to where I started.

When I think about the definition of wellbeing, at its most basic it refers to being well. Being well could easily encompass a huge array of nouns that all contribute to the betterment of both individuals and communities (or clusters of people who share a commonality, such as location, interests, etc.). To be socially well, we need to have a certain amount of understanding, tolerance and respect for each other. We also need to feel confident and empowered within ourselves in order to build individual resilience so that we can support each other to make our communities resilience.

I think I'll stick with my original title :)

No comments: